ABOUT TUFF™ RESIN
We recommend using M3D TUFF™ if you intend to 3D print models that you want to remain rigid and hard yet withstand stress and strain without being brittle. Once post-cured, TUFF™ can be machined, painted or polished for further finishing.
Our development team has created this unique resin to be much lower in viscosity that does not require heating to help achieve the most significant details possible; this also reduces the build-up of resin that can get trapped behind supports.
M3D TUFF™ was specifically designed as a low odour formula to suit confined spaces such as home offices, garages and family living spaces.
Well Suited to:
- Engineering Models
- Miniatures for Gaming
- Outdoor Parts (UV coating recommended)
- Rapid Prototypes
- Display Models
- Industrial Art
- Robotic Parts
High Tensile Strength
When measuring the Tensile strength of our material, the pressure is applied to it gradually until it gives. TUFF™ resin has a much higher rating than most resins on the market.
Longevity & Durability
It’s important that your model lasts the test of time, we have done comprehensive aging tests and TUFF™ has passed with flying colours.
Hard Surface Finish
A hard surface without being brittle gives TUFF™ it’s unique properties. The cleaned surface is perfect for painting if required.
The Offical Test Facts and Figures
We had an independent lab do this report on our TUFF™ resin, printed at different heights and with varying cure times.
TUFF PRINTING TIPS
- Ensure a long post-cure to increase the tensile strength.
- Printing at a lower layer height will increase the overall strength.
- Print the part solid, not hollow for the strongest results.
- Always print models on a 45 degree angle to help the part release from the FEP sheet.
TUFF™ resin is very versatile and can be printed between 5 micron and 100 micron layer heights. To achieve the best results 3D models should always be designed solid, if hollowing is required, ensure drain holes are included to remove any trapped resin.
Always print large flat areas on an angle to help with print deformation due to the adhesion to the FEP film. To assist with unsupported areas, ensure you use well-positioned, solid supports. We recommend you add 1-2 seconds’ wait after print’ setting to allow the material to cool after curing before starting to lift the build plate. (Not all slicers have this setting, check with your software provider) This resin will print faster than our rapid model resin, please adjust your settings accordingly. Use a calibration model like this one, to dial in your printer with our resin.
FINISHING — WHAT'S THE BEST PRACTICE?
- For best results after printing, use ResinAway® for removing uncured resin from the part. Place part in a pre-wash bath filled with ResinAway® and use a soft brush to remove excess resin. Follow by placing the component into an ultrasonic cleaner with ResinAway® for 3-5mins to help remove the resin trapped in the finer detail.
- Ensure parts are dry by using compressed air or patting gently with a lint-free cloth before post-curing – Warning: leaving excess IPA or ResinAway® on parts might result in surface cracking.
- TUFF™ requires post-curing to reach its optimal mechanical properties. We recommend using a 405nm LED Ultraviolet light to post-cure the model. It is recommended to post-cure for a few minutes, then remove the excess ResinAway by washing with fresh water. Then place it back in the curing chamber for at least 30 mins to improve the tensile strength of the resin. (2 hours will further enhance the mechanical properties. These properties will also increase over a few days).
- When exposing a part to external elements, apply paint to the surface to improve longevity. Alternatively, the components can be machined, sanded and polished to create a tough scratch resistant surface.
Viscosity 200 – 300 cps @ 25°C (Brookfield RVT)
Odour Negligible Characteristic
Active Solids 100%
Shelf Life 24 months
UV Cure 225nm to 420nm
Layer Height 10um – 100um
Cure Speed Fast with UV LED
Storage Dark Cool, Dry place out of direct sunlight
Wash Up RESINAWAY® or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol)