The Filaments.ca TRUE Food Safe PLA (True FS PLA) is a 3D printing filament designed specifically for applications where food safety is required. Users can now 3D print objects such as cookie cutters, cake toppers, customized kitchen tools for restaurants, bakeries etc. while knowing that the material used is truly safe to come into contact with food.
This product, being an easy to print PLA, can be used by anyone. From beginners to professionals. It does not require any special print settings or high temperatures, enclosure or any other advanced configurations. It is non-toxic, low-odor and safe to use indoors including at home/school/office/restaurant etc.
Our Food Safe PLA is unique because we have specifically taken all necessary steps and measures to ensure that food safety is a key component in the production of this filament. From FDA approved raw materials, including food safe color pigments and additives, to a clean manufacturing facility, good manufacturing practices, batch trace-ability, post extrusion testing, segregated storage and conformity certification.
In addition to being truly food safe, this filament is made from a high grade biopolymer from Ingeo™ developed specifically for 3D printing. This means that the material produces sharper colors and exhibits faster crystallization rates. This translates into enhanced toughness, precise details, less warping, good adhesion and low odor. The fast crystallization rate also allows for up to 50% faster printing speed! Another advantage of this polymer is that it can also be annealed (heat treated) to promote crystallization and improve the heat deflection temperature of the 3D printed part, making it safe to use in a dishwasher for example.
- True 100% Food Safe. Fully controlled from raw material to production to warehousing.
- Made from 3D printing grade Nature Works LLC Ingeo™ Biopolymer.
- High crystallization rate.
- Allows for faster printing speeds.
- Ideal for high resolution and small detail prints.
- Warp free.
- Improved mechanical properties.
- Stronger than standard PLA.
- Annealable for increased temperature resistance.
- Plant based
- Low odor
We source all our food-safe PLA Ingeo™ Bioplastic from NatureWorks, LLC, who offers a family of biopolymers derived from 100% renewable resources.
Important Notes Regarding Food Safety and 3D Printing:
Please note that while we have taken every measure to ensure that the product leaving our warehouse is completely food contact safe, there are other processes and risks beyond our control that are inherent to 3D printing. The following should be taken into consideration when dealing with 3D printed parts that will be in contact with food:
- Your 3D printer is comprised of several components which come into contact with the filament prior to extrusion, such as the gears, tube, hot-end assembly and nozzle. Please keep in mind that these parts are most likely not made of food contact grade components and are not being regularly cleaned/sanitized and as such may have an affect on the cleanliness of your final product. At a minimum, we recommend to use a stainless steel nozzle and try to keep your printer and printing environment as clean as possible.
- All FDM 3D printed parts have a surface finish comprised of visible layer lines created by the 3D printing process. These layer lines can harbor small pieces of food and promote the growth of bacteria, pathogens and other harmful contaminants. If your 3D printed part is expected to come into contact with food on a regular basis, measures should be taken to ensure that the part is thoroughly cleaned, sanitized and verified clean prior to use.
NET WEIGHT: 1 KG (2.2 LB)
|190°C - 230°C
- Bed: 0-60°C
- Fan: 100%
- Annealing: 10-20 min @ 176-266°F (80-130°C). It is recommended to preheat the oven before placing the part inside. We also recommend using a professional lab oven to avoid temperature fluctuations and achieve optimal results. Annealing promotes crystallization and improves the heat deflection temperature of the 3D printed part, increasing it from 55-60°C to 80-90°C.